Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Changes in Diet

Today I'm going to just try to list the changes I have already gone through as far as my diet is concerned.

Since October I have not eaten any type of bread, buns, biscuits, cookies, cakes, crackers or pies. I also haven't eaten any type of pasta. I tried to eat wheat pasta as a substitute but I had the same allergic reactions to it as plain pasta. I removed cheddar cheese from my diet too.

I miss bread a lot, especially the biscuits. Pasta was a staple food in my diet. I wish there were a healthy alternative. Last night I was reading about Rice Pasta, which is a possible option for me. However, I would like to find others who have eaten it and get their opinions about the product.

I have to be honest here. My friend Gail commented on our picture that she could tell I have lost weight.

I am 4' 11" tall :) When you're finished chuckling at that height I'll tell you about my weight . . . . . . . . .

finished?

Okay, let's continue :)

In October when I started removing the things above from my diet, I weighed 115 pounds. That left me some room to lose weight without sacrificing my health. Within a month of removing those things from my diet, I lost 10 pounds. At that point my weight tapered off and I now weigh 105 pounds. I'll also note here that my mother, in an effort to lose weight started removing these same things from her diet. Her result was a weight loss of 20 pounds in one month.

I no longer spend every day of my life feeling bloated and sluggish. I feel more energetic and stronger than I did when I weighed just 10 pounds more and ate bread all the time.

I must confess, sacrificing bread, pasta and cake has been a very difficult thing for me to do. I bake a lot and take these cakes to friends and neighbors. As I hand them their dessert I am silently wishing I could take a seat and share the treat with them.

Some days, I feel an incurable hunger. I haven't figured out how to resolve that without feeling bloated and sluggish again. I guess it is possible that my body will adjust to these changes in time.

What am I eating more of? I eat a lot of salads. At least one meal a day is in its entirety, a salad. I can eat Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses in small portions without having any reactions, but rarely choose to do so. I eat my meats broiled or grilled for the most part. Batter and breading on meats (or anything for that matter) is a no-no for me. Rice. . .I eat a lot of rice. I make stir fries a lot more now and I see rice quickly becoming a substitute for pasta. But I still miss pasta. The only types of cereal I have found that I can eat are rice based, mostly Special K.

So basically my diet now consists of vegetables, grilled or broiled meats and rice.

4 comments:

  1. You too huh?! I've lost over 30 pounds! Mostly because of meds I'm on, makes me NOT want to eat, but it also makes me not want to eat the nasty foods I was eating and the foods that arent good for me. I actually WANT to eat the foods that are good for me! How about that for meds!? Ive been loosing steadily over the last 8 months so hopefully I can keep it off, fortunately and unfortunately I have nothing at all that fits me and no money to buy clothing! Grass strings will become my best friend I guess to keep my clothing tied around my waste! Good luck girl! Cant wait to hear about your recipes, gardening and home! I love all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for visiting my blog and the comments.
    About a month ago I had some weird feelings and ended up in the ER. After several tests and visits to different doctors I found I had BPPV which is basically Vertigo. Much to my suprize the dr. recommended Physical Therapy. He said within a month it would be gone and it is. I still have some health issues but God has taken care of me and spared my life several times. I'm thankful that this Sunday I will be 70 (I was just 10 yesterday). It's hard to believe but God has a plan for all of us. I, too, have lost about 10 lbs over a period of 2 years and I've lost 2 1/2 " in height. Looking at your picture I would never know that you were under 5 ft tall.

    Sounds like you've had a difficult time but I can tell God has been with you and helped you obtain better health. What would we do without our Heavenly Father?

    You have given up pasta, I have eaten a lot of pasta which has helped me lose the weight. I am allergic to every cholesterol medicine the dr. has tried to give me and that is why I changed my diet. I also eat grilled chicken and tuna or some type of broiled fish. I have tried to cut out a lot of sugar and I only drink water. If we go out to eat I will order a Sprite but usually I don't drink it all. I've also learned to eat smaller portions. If I eat anything I have given up I can take one bite and that satisfies me.

    May God continue to bless you and I look foward to your posts. AE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started pretty much the same diet changes in February in order to get the weight down. It has made a huge difference already. I have lost 26 pounds so far and counting...!! Keep up the good work! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You posts have inspired me to get back to eating healthier......it's so easy to munch on sweets or chips but I really need to STOP those habits....recording what I eat helps me to see and curve this habit. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to respectfully share your thoughts with me on anything you read on my blog. If you wish to comment you must be a registered user. This is to reduce spam and other abuse by anonymous visitors. Thanks for your understanding and thank you so much for visiting.

Site Meter

online counter
Copyright © The Old Oak Swing 2008, 2009, 2010